Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Are we the only ones with a budget??

I was pondering today about Chris and my current situation and just thinking about how we got so lucky to be where we are right now, and how we are just so blessed to both have steady income and own our own home and just sooooo grateful to be able to pay our bills every month! And I was wondering...How did things just click with us right from the beginning?? I mean we both were unemployed the first year of our marriage and you'd think that would have put a damper on things right? We made it through though Chris was able to get a great job and so was I. I CAN'T believe it! ( no really) I'm in shock and awe at our blessings and I don't take any of it for granted. I do know though that life can change in an INSTANT, and I REALLY REALLY want to be prepared for hardships and misfortunes, but how do I get started? I have been saving a great deal in my 401k at work and we have a set amount that we throw into savings monthly, but is that enough? Compared to many families we are not rich by any means, but I do know "anybody can save" even if its the smallest amount it adds up. Basically I'm writing this blog for advice. Chris and I already have a budget that my dad helped us put together when we were first married and its proven extremely affective, but I will take any advice I can get. We are trying to stop bad habits and tightening our belts a lot so we can prepare for the future. Even if you can just give me some cheap meal ideas that are quick and easy it would help sooo- much! (I don't get home until 7:30 pm and Chris & I are both on the run with school, so we tend to eat out more than we should) Do any of you have budget spreadsheets that you find have saved your lives?? Or do you have tricks to grocery shopping that you would like to share? I know we are on the right track, but also I know there is always room for improvement. Also, how does your family justify spending money like on decorating your home or clothes for work or play? Do you have set amounts that you can spend on a certain area or do you save for things like repairs and maintenance on your car or home? I know everyone is trying to become more frugal these days and I'd like to know what you do so I can help make our budget better :) Love you all!

<3 Brittany

7 comments:

Andie said...

I use coupons all the time... I also plan out a months worth of meals before I go shopping. I love crock pot meals this way on our busy days it does all the work and O reap the benefits.
Dinner doesn't have to be difficult to be good, sometimes just a tonys frozen pizza works.
Jon & I try to go out once sometimes twice a month. We never spend more than $20 each time. You have to be inventive.
As for home decor, I make alot of what I have. I can't justify spending $40 on a plaque I can make with my Cricut.
As far as budgets I have a calendar I use I write down everything that is due then I know when I need to pay what. We have cut out any extras including TV and home phone, what it the point if you are never home to enjoy it. You just have to find what works best for you.
I'll look through my recipe book and copy some down for you for when I see you again.
Good luck

Brittany (B) Michelle Kenner said...

Thanks sooo much! I really really want some more crocpot meal ideas cause its so nice coming home to a meal that has just cooked itself. I need to do more coupon cutting cause $1 is a $1 and if I get a few extra in my pocket yay for me! Ya we decided to not get tv and home phone either, we just watch TONS of movies. We do have internet for school, but thats kind of a must! I REALLY want a cricut for christmas I have left all but sublte hints to Chris so I HOPE he picks up on it. LOVE YOU!! Can't wait for you to all come to my party in October!! Start sewing your kids Halloween costumes!!

<3 Brittany

Melinda said...

The best way I save on groceries is to prepare a list of meals then buy the ingredients for those meals. It makes the cooking quicker because I know the meals I can make and it makes for less trips to the store (you know those when you go to buy 1 thing and you come out spending $50) To work on food storage, when something is on sale buy a few extras to put away. I loves sales and buy most of our clothes when I can find killer deals. We lived for many years as students and we just learned to do without the "extras". Do redbox instead of the theater and try to limit eating out. Good job on trying to live on a budget, if you can learn that now it will help you through out your life.

Brittany (B) Michelle Kenner said...

Thanks Melinda!! Ya I think that's my problem I go to the store for sugar and I about clean out the entire supermarket!! hahaha I have a problem with shopping for clothes even though I only buy on sale items...Thanks so much for your insight!!

<3 Brittany

Andie said...

Honestly if you can get a silhoutte I hear that are WAY better! I know I am coveting my neighbors. No cartridges to use you just download what you want.... Just a thought.

Andie said...

Thought of something else..... Caselot sales are the bomb! Sounds silly but I buy a case of most everything I use then I don't need to run to the store every single time I need beans, or corn, or etc.... My mom once said if you can buy a case of one item you use everytime you go to the store pretty soon you will also have a good food storage.

Phil and Ashlee said...

Britt we use Mint.com for our budget and love it. It helps keep us in check on what we spend our money on and makes it easier to know if we have the money for certain things. Call me if you want to know how to use it :)