Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Like Father, Like Son: Potty Training

The transition from diapers to potty training was very simple and easy for Jack. He's always been SUPER worried about being messy and he hated when his diapers were even a tiny but soiled. He would come up to me & say "Eww momma I poo poo" & want me to immediately stop what I was doing and change him, pronto! After we begun the process he finally got to the point where he was telling us when he needed to go "potty" and sleeping through his naps and the night with no accidents. He had a streak of two whole weeks with no accidents & I finally wasn't holding my breath anymore and was declaring him "potty trained." Well that is until he started to regress and have accidents one after the other. He would be playing and just go in his pants because he didn't want to stop, then on his own grab some new underwear and pants from his drawer (because he would never sit in his pee let alone poop for one second) & ask me to help him put them on.  And if he had a poop accident he would ask me to give him a "tubby" right away then go back to playing. It took me a week to catch on to his laziness, but I finally started trying to put a stop to it. Every time I would try to talk to him about why we don't go potty in our pants he'd ignore me and not make eye contact. I started to think maybe that two weeks of no accidents was just luck? But, NO! He was telling me on his own when he had to go until all of a sudden he decided it was too much of a hassle to go all the way to the potty, plus I was just changing him and cleaning him right away so no inconvenience to him right? I tried making him help me clean up his accidents, but seriously that was like the end of the world to him. He would scream and say "Eww cucka momma, no no!!" "Momma do it!!" I tried time out, more crying & no real results.. Then I was starting to feel like the worst mom ever...that is until I remembered Chris' Grandma Fernelius telling me about how difficult Chris was. Chris also carried a favorite blanky around and called them his "woobies". They ended up tying his "woobies" on as underwear and telling him if he went potty he would get them all messy. It worked! He didn't dare go potty on his pecious "woobies". So 4 nights ago after Jack had had another accident we sat Jack down and told him calmly that if he wasn't going to tell us when he needed to go potty then we would have to take his "bebee's" away. Wow, you should have seen his face! I felt like a monster!! He cried and cried saying "my bebee's" "jack jack's bebee's!". Chris & I talked more and we were starting to think he didn't understand us at all. I didn't want him to think we were just being mean so I almost quit right there. We took them away from dinner time until bedtime and it was SO hard seeing him so sad. He definitely did understand us though, he has told me every time he has had to go since. You might think I'm harsh, but he is his father's son. Everybody does things their own way, to save me from going crazy this is what worked for us. I'm so proud of him. We dance & cheer every time he goes and he has told me several times this week "I keep my bebee's momma." Yes Jack you can keep your "bebee's".

2 comments:

Andie said...

Anthony used to spend one month with us and one with his mother. We would get he completely trained he would go to his mothers and come home in a diaper, she did not want to deal with it, and then we had to start all over again. One day I ahd finally had it. We had anthony for a holiday during his mothers time frame. Once again he was in a diaper. I lost it! I said "anthony if your mother sends you here one more time in a diaper Andrea is putting her in time out! Anthony Sobbed and sobbed Please Andreer don't put my mom in time out. We calmed him down and didn't think another thing about it......till the ex called pissed off that I was going to put her in time out. Anthony REFUSED to wear a diaper. He told his mother I am a big Boy daddy and Andreer say so only babies wear diapers. From that moment on he was trained. Kids understand WAY more than we give them credit for. You did good momma.

Breestyle said...

That is a cute story. Its common for young children to regress when potty training. What a big accomplishment. Lacey used to call her blanket a woobie too! That's funny.