Monday, November 28, 2011

101 in 1001

101 in 1001

The Mission:

Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days. http://www.dayzeroproject.com/

The Criteria:

Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (i.e. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?

Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

I don't feel like posting my entire list, because some of the things are more personal than I'd like to share here, but here's a snippet:

_______

For me:

1. Lose 50 pounds by (12/30/2012)

2. Finish my pre-requisites for Nursing school; Math 1050, English 1010, Bio & lab, Chem & lab, Human Anatomy & lab, Human physiology & lab

3. Go out with a friend at least once per month.

4. Get my legs waxed at least once.

For my mind:

5. Read 12 novels during 2012

January:

February:

March:

April:

May:

June:

July:

August:

September:

October

November:

December:

6. Read 12 novels during 2013

January:

February

March:

April:

May:

June:

July:

August:

September:

October

November:

December:

7. Attend four theater productions

· 1.

· 2.

· 3.

· 4.

For my creativity:

8. Make 15 quilts

9. Learn how to knit

10. Take a pottery class

11. Take a piano course

12. Learn how to read music

13. Take a photography class

For my soul:

12. Read the entire Book of Mormon from cover to cover

13. Tell myself I’m beautiful, strong, & important once a day

14. Read 5 books written by LDS authors

· 1.

· 2.

· 3.

· 4.

· 5.

15. Keep a gratitude journal every day for one month

For my health:

16. Complete five 5k races

17. Complete a 10k

18. Complete a half marathon

19. Practice yoga once per week for six months

20. Lift weights 2 times per week for six months

21. Try a Zumba class

22. Go on a walk everyday for a month

23. Stop drinking soda for one month

24. Take a multivitamin everyday for a month (to develop the habit)

For my marriage:

25. Start and Write in OUR journal everyday for a month (to develop the habit)

26. Take a picture of us together at LEAST once per month (0/33)

27. Go on a real date at LEAST once per month (0/33)

28. Go hiking together six times (0/6)

29. Attend the temple at least 20 times together (0/20)

30. Read four books on marriage/relationships (0/4)

31. Go river rafting together

32. Read an entire book together cover to cover

33. See the lights at Temple Square each Christmas (0/3)

34. Pray together once a day for 30 days to develop the habit (0/30)

35. Leave sweet LOVE notes around the house, at LEAST one a week

For my baby:

41. Use cloth diapers (August to October 2011)

42. Keep a journal/blog of his life (update at least once per month) (1/31)

43. Take a picture of him at LEAST every single week of his life. So far, so good.

44. Have professional photos taken during Jack’s first year (three times in 2011)

45. Read Jack “I’ll Love You Forever” everynight before bed

46. Make Jack sit through sacrament so he can learn it’s importance.

47. Teach Jack sign language to help him less frustrated with communicating and have better manners

48. Write a detailed “birth story” of to remember the experience (April 9th, 2011).

49. Take him to feed the ducks by the canal with Great Grandma Hughes

50. Take him to the Dinosaur museum

For my wallet:

51. Stick to a preset food budget every month (0/33). I'm really bad at this.

52. Research and buy the best quality/least expensive tires for the car

53. Save at least $20 per month in our savings account

54. Convince Chris that life insurance is important and invest in it

55. Find 10 events in SLC/Provo/Park City/Boston that are free and attend them (0/10)

56. Grow a garden in 2012 and 2013

57.Get the car registered

58. Get out of debt by 8.25.2014

59. Have dinner in the space needle restaurant

60. Have thanksgiving dinner at my house

For the blog:

61. Find/create a blog layout/design that I really love

62. Update my blog at LEAST once a week.

For others:

63. Donate my hair to Locks of Love….if I can find the courage!

64. Donate a can of food for every pound of weight I lose to achieve my goal weight

65. Make a birthday cake for someone not in my family

66. Donate $1 for every item completed on this list ($0/$101)

67. Bake a treat for a random neighbor, friend once a month (0/33)

For our house:

68. Organize ALL photographs into albums

69. Continually de-clutter and donate unused items until I’m happy with our home

70. Sweep the floor every single day for a month (to get in the habit)

71. Re-paint and decorate our bedroom

72. Save up for new bedroom furniture

73. Save up for 8 more sets of our china (so I can have the entire Kenner family over for Thanksgiving)

74. Put up a new fence

For the environment:

75: Plant 3 trees.

Miscellaneous:

76. Complete this list before January 1, 2012

77. Go to Maryland

78. Learn to change a car tire

79. Have wills drawn up for both Chris and me

80. Renew my driver’s license

81. Go to the Grand Canyon

82. Carve pumpkins for Halloween (2011)

83. Say “yes” to something big that I would normally say “no” to

84. Mail out Christmas cards in 2011,2012, & 2013

85. Start a new family tradition with Jack ( A new Christmas ornament every year, Nov 28,2011)

Other:

86: Do the Dirty Dash with Chris

87: Give 20 unsolicited, random compliments.

88. Find a stylist and get a haircut that I love (

89.

_______

Occasionally I might post things about my progress or success in achieving the things on my list. My start date is November 28, 2011, and my end date is August 25, 2012. (Fingers crossed) of this ambitious list.

I'm open to changing/altering/adding to my list, so if you have any suggestions (especially in the "for others" section -- I have more than I posted here, but I still feel like that section may be a little lacking) please feel free to say so in the comments.

Would any of you ever consider doing something like this, too?

3 comments:

Andie said...

Love the idea. I may just steal it
Try to take Eng 1010 online. I did it ended up being WAY easier, I think the paper was 25 pages on any topic. It was mostly just editing and re-editing.
Math 1050 is killing me too..... You can do it!

Brittany (B) Michelle Kenner said...

Ya I took Math 1050 and English 1010 last year Math 1050 was SOOO hard but I managed a B :)

the holmans said...

great list britt... love allthe ideas! Brett and I do this every year. we make a list of house goals and personal goals and check back in on them. It is good to focus on whats important we all get so busy we might forget the things we want most!