Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Grandpa Ewell

Yesterday my dad called to tell me Grandpa Ewell had passed away, though this was no real surprise it was still quite shocking to me. He had been quite ill for sometime and he was becoming very uncomfortable. This worried my dad terribly and my dad made sure to take every opportunity he could to drive or fly down to visit him. My dad was even gracious enough to take my sister Heather, Jack, and I down to see him and have Jack meet him. I love my Grandpa very much, he lived with my family from the time I was in kindergarten all the way through high school. He bonded with my sisters and I and I'm very grateful I got to have him as a "second dad" around the house (though he was more of one of the kids, haha!) He had a special spark about him and was loved by all who knew him. I always felt like he kind of whistled while he talked and had a very infectious laugh. There is so much a remember about him and SO MANY GOOD memories I will keep forever close to my heart. I am so glad Jack was able to meet him, and I am so glad I had my whole adolescent life growing up with him. I talked quite often with Grandpa Ewell these last few months and he always made sure to tell me how special and loved I was by him. In our last two phone conversations we had a special experience together. Grandpa Ewell was ALWAYS singing old tunes and me and him sang together my two favorite songs "Sue city Sue" and "The Bakery Shop" song. With tears running down my face I was able to sing with my Grandpa like we used to in the car on long road trips and in the back yard in our camp chairs. I'm very blessed to have had him to help mold me into the strong woman I am today. And I am grateful I can sing these songs (and I do) to Jack and my future children to keep his spirit alive. In our very last conversation I was busy and trying to hurry around my house to prepare for a party. I asked him if I could call him back later and he very powerfully said, "No please talk to me now." This made me step back and forget everything else that was going on around me. He was very hard to hear and even harder to understand those last few days. But I was able to tell him how much I loved him and that I missed him. And that I wish I wish I could be there where he was. I also told him Chris and my plan to name our next son after him. This REALLY made him happy I could tell by the escalation in his feeble voice. He kept saying "my next grandson?" "my next grandson?". I think he thought I was pregnant (which I'm not), but either way I know he's glad to know how much he means to me. His funeral is May 8th and I'm so glad us three sisters can be there together. I love you Grandpa Ewell and I am so glad Grandma Ewell was there to welcome you home. Families are forever and I couldn't be more grateful for that truth.

Along with a few pictures of our last in visit together I wanted to share the sweet songs we sang..

Sue City Sue


I drove a heard of cattle the old Nebraska way
Thats how I came to be in the state of I-oway
I met a girl i I-oway, her eyes were big and blue
I asked her what her name was, and she said Sue-City-Sue
Sue-City-Sue, Sue-City-Sue
Her hair is red, her eyes are blue
I'd swap my horse and die for you
Sue-City-Sue, Sue-City-Sue
There ain't no gal as true, as my sweet Sue-City-Sue

The Bakery Shop


I walked around the corner, I walked around the block
I walked right in to a bakery shop
I picked 3 donuts out of the grease and handed the lady a 5 cent piece
She looked at the nickel and she looked at me
And said this nickels no good to me
There's a hole in the middle and it's all the way through
I said ay there's a hole in the donut too!

3 comments:

The Halls said...

Perfectly said. I've been singing the bakery shop one since he died...I'm happy I still can hear his voice, singing it along with me. Love you!

Breestyle said...

Ive been singing too!!! He must be singing with us all:)

dana ewell said...

Good memories Britt! Keep it alive